Category Management Process
Benefit from our comprehensive digital toolkit and industry experience
At Barkers our team have been implementing strategic sourcing and category management for more than 20 years. We’ve literally written the book and constantly revised it as technology has changed and capabilities have increased. The illustration shows our comprehensive toolset, which has been fully digitised into a powerful suite of tools integrated into Microsoft Power BI.
The key to our process is that we will integrate into existing governance, reporting and approval processes. So often category management sits in isolation or clunkily added on the side of the tender process. Getting the business as used to reviewing a strategy as signing off a PO is critical. Taking this to its logical conclusion, by creating category plans, more delegated authority can be handed to procurement to award contracts in line with the plan, and meet the benefit targets established for key budget holders.
The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS) defines Category Management as:
A strategic approach which organises procurement resources to focus on specific areas of spend. This enables category managers to focus their time and conduct in depth market analysis to fully leverage their procurement decisions on behalf of the whole organisation.
Why use category management? To realise benefits for both the business, and the procurement professional.
- By managing specific elements of the business process, continuous improvement on cost base is more readily realised
- Long term plan can be more accurately aligned to business outcomes
- Risk is balanced between your supply chain and your business
- As the various elements of the business are subject to greater scrutiny, overall quality can be improved
- By taking responsibility for Category Management, you become a relevant person of interest to stakeholders
- If you excel in this position, you stand an improved chance of catching the attention of upper management and securing promotions
- Category Management positions are amongst the most well-paid in corporate management
- It is, quite simply, a more interesting role than its equivalent – tendering
Our Core Digital Products and Services
Our core offerings
Digital Dashboard Subscriptions
Or £6,000 for a yearly subscription
£750.00 / month
- Cloud-based digital tool
- Suite of category management templates and data input sheets
- Subscription to Microsoft Power BI for instant access
- Category experts to get you started and map your data sources
- On-site support to drive engagement if required
- Remote support available if preferred
- Available on monthly or annual subscription
Skills & Behaviour Assessments
Or £500 for 10
£75.00 / each
- £75 each or £500 for 10 Cloud-based assessments from our digital suite
- Category Management Skills Assessment
- Assertion Behaviour Inventory
- Negotiation Skills Assessment
- Access to global results database
- Available as one-off investment or suite of assessments
- Tailored training and coaching solutions if desired
Full Commercial Health Check
Or bespoke packages available
£10,000.00 / one off fee
- Expert Delivery Directors to conduct your health check
- Results available in a cloud-based dashboard
- Commercial Health Check Report
- Digital Dashboard Analytics
- Improvement Plan
- On-site support to understand business challenges
- Monitor improvements digitally against agreed performance measures
Register for a free 1 hour coaching session now!
If you are looking for a bespoke solution, please register your details and one of our Delivery Directors will contact you directly to understand your business challenges.