Southern Water wished to improve their procurement operations and asked us to support their sourcing delivery. Using our People – Managed Service approach, we engaged in a multi-targeted strategy which enabled Southern Water to significantly improve their overall efficiency levels within a five-month period.
Southern Water required support to streamline critical procurement processes (notably invoicing and payment processes) with a view to improving efficiencies.
We focused upon a ‘procure to pay’ improvement programme and sourcing execution service to enable Southern Water to meet their objectives. Integral to this was:
- A review of the procure to pay processes and on time payment, with suggested recommendations for change.
- Empowering staff to use Go Shopping and P-Cards.
- Devising a robust process for Lodge cards (business travel cards).
- Reducing non-value add purchase order volume and processing activity including:
- Consolidation of Paper/email invoices and individual payments
- File upload payments for key contracted suppliers such as chemicals and temporary labour.
- Reducing purchase order rework, through optimised accounts payable invoice processing, including refined invoice processing.
Southern Water’s key procurement processes are now significantly enhanced, which has resulted in efficiencies benefiting both Southern Water, their suppliers and their customers. Most notably, because of the changes we implemented at Southern Water, the number of suppliers being paid on time more than doubled, enhancing both business to business relationships and the reputation of Southern Water.
- Warren Kozera – Delivery Director
- Nathan Davies – Senior Managing Consultant
- Liz Power – Senior Managing Consultant
September 2017 – January 2018