The 2021 Contracting Ecosystem
On 6 April 2021 IR35 came into effect for the private sector. This follows changes to the public sector in 2017. So what does this mean for the contractor? Who is responsible for determining IR35 compliance? Should you see IR35 as a friend or foe – a new opportunity even? And are there ways in which you can make simple changes to your working practices to stay outside of IR35 should you wish to?
What does IR35 mean for Barkers?
We are delighted to confirm that Barkers Commercial Consultancy sits outside IR35 and therefore our clients are unaffected by the changes introduced on 6 April 2021.
The following factors explain why:
- Barkers Associates never fill a vacant permanent role within an organisation; our assignments are fluid and diverse to reflect the complexity of the client’s challenge
- Our Associates may work with multiple clients at any one time, and our contracts allow for supply of substitute resource providing continuity of service whatever the circumstances
- Our contracts explicitly state the remit of our Associates and are terminated at the end of each assignment
- Barkers contracts outline the key milestones required by the client, and we typically invoice based on completion of these
- Our Associates never appear on an organisational chart; they are contractually distant from the organisation’s core structure and do not receive employee benefits such as holiday pay, sick pay or pension payments
- All Barkers’ Associates use their own equipment and software in a client setting making them fully self-reliant and self-directing in the delivery of our assignments.